Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Long Weekend

The job hunt is enabling me to reconnect with people i knew ages back professionally. I am really struck by the way people evaluate each other .. How much money is he/she earning ? is he/she in a position wherein he can help me / be of use to me in the future ?

Its interesting to see how career oriented and ruthlessly competitive the entire system is. Opportunism clothed in principle and hoary objectives is always the key.

Another important thing is networking ... If you want to succeed in your career , you MUST network effectively. The best jobs never get advertised and the key to learning about them is to to have a pig's ability to ferret out truffles.

One interesting meeting was with an ex-colleague who thanks to her manipulative abilities , family connections and icy focus on her career goals is doing , in her "own words- so much more better than me!" . This lady was romantically interested in me when we were colleagues , but being gay i obviously wasnt interested. Since i couldnt tell her that i was gay and hence not interested , I fobbed her off with excuses. She still bears a grudge against me it seemed . She took great joy in informing me that she had got married two months back and was expecting a reaction from me. I had nothing to say except offer warm congratulations which only seemed to irritate her ..

Ah the crosses one has to bear when one is not free to be true to one's self --- Wish i was in a city like London , free to be what i really am. But then , if wishes were horses beggars would ride :-). So one stays in India, the facades remain and the storyline continues.

2 comments:

zmywak said...

There is very simple rule; it doesnt matter where you are and what are you doing, the number of problems/ troubles/ miseries remains the same. And even in happy and rich Norway the percentage of depression is very high. Wishes from London

Sunny said...

Hi Jalaj,
I liked ur write-ups very much. U have a gre8 flair 4 writing n u seem 2 b a gre8 guy. I would like 2 get 2 know u better. Do write to me at my e-mail ID sjsmailbox.69@rediffmail.com I would like 2 share a few points from my 18 year old relationship in which I presently am with you. Tks a lot n take care. All the very best 2 u, ALWAYS !!! Sunny